Why do you want to work in our company? It is one of the most popular interview questions. At first glance, the question is predictable and simple. But if you do not prepare the correct answer, you risk reducing your chances of getting the desired job to zero.
Why is this question so important?
Put yourself in the shoes of an employer: would you like to hire an employee who has researched the company, knows its mission, upholds its values, and is willing to work for the benefit of the company, its customers/consumers?
In addition, finding a suitable employee is a resource-intensive process that requires time and money. Therefore, the employer does not want to make a mistake.
Pay attention to other forms of this question, for example: “Why do you want this job?” or “Why are you interested in this position/company?”. The meaning of the question stays the same.
The article provides good and bad examples of answers to the interview question “Why do you want to work in our company?”, and also contains questions that will help you prepare a correct answer.
Bad Example Answers to the Interview Question “Why Do You Want to Work in Our Company?”
The answer to the question “Why do you want to work for our company” will depend on the nature of work, the position, and the company itself, and, of course, will depend on you and how you want to present yourself to a potential employer.
Writing the correct answer starts with understanding what the employer doesn’t want to hear, such as:
- “To be honest, I need a job and I found this offer interesting.” The answer, of course, is frank. But for the employer, this means that you are not interested in working for the good of the company and that at any time when you offer a more interesting alternative, you will quit.
- “I heard that your employees have high salaries and many benefits.” Of course, it is in the interests of the company – to hire the best minds and offer decent pay for work. But at the same time, the employer probably does not want the only motivation to work would be a monetary reward.
- “I see this job as a big step forward and a great opportunity for growth.” For the employer, this answer means that you are focused on your future, but the company needs a result now.
- “The company is successful and promising, and I want to be part of the team.” Too generalized answer.
Remember, the answer to the interview question “Why do you want to work in our company?” must be connected with your personal experience. For example, a company is engaged in charity, and you just took part in a volunteer program – be sure to tell the employer about this fact.
You need to show that your personal goals meet and align with the values and interests of the company.
Read also posts:
Questions That Will Help You Prepare a Right Answer to “Why Do You Want to Work Here?”
The key to the correct answer is right in front of you. All you have to do is turn around the question from “Why do you want to work for the company” to “Why should the company hire me?”.
In other words, you need to focus not on what the company can offer you, but on what you can offer the company and why the employer will benefit from hiring you.
(John Kennedy’s famous quote immediately comes to mind “Ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.”)
The following few questions will help you prepare the correct answer:
- How can you help the company succeed? Find information about the company and the industry in which it operates. What has been changed in the production or the provision of services? Who are the main competitors of the company? Now think about how your knowledge, skills, and experience will be useful to the company at this stage of development.
- What past career achievements could you apply and replicate in a new job? In your previous job, in solving what issues and problems did you involve? What ideas did you propose and what was the result: saved the company’s budget, increased profits, reduced costs? What lessons have you learned from previous work experience, and how can you apply this knowledge to your new job?
- Do you like the corporate culture and company values? Would you like to be part of the team? To answer these questions, you will have to do a little homework and find the necessary information about the company’s culture. For example, a core feature of the company’s corporate culture is teamwork. If you are a sociable person and like to work in a team and achieve results together, be sure to include this point in your answer.
Sample Answers to the Interview Question “Why Do You Want to Work in a Company?”
When an employer asks “Why do you want to work in our company” or “Why are you interested in this position”, you, of course, want to give a quick and pre-prepared answer that will sound natural and casual.
The several ideas for inspiration that will help you prepare a good answer:
- “I believe I have the necessary knowledge and skills to achieve good results in my work, for example…”
- “I think my skills are suitable for this position because…”
- “I am glad to have an opportunity to work for your company. It will allow me to…”
- “I consider this position as an opportunity and a chance to contribute to the development of the industry/fast growing company/successful company… I believe that I can achieve good results thanks to …”
- “Not so long ago, I read an article about how your company is actively involved in the city’s social life. Your team organized an event for children. Such a social position and such values have always been close to me. I participate in charity events as much as possible. Therefore, when I saw a vacancy for a position in your company, I sent my resume and cover letter without hesitation … “
- “I have purchased products (used the services) of company X several times and have always been satisfied with the quality. Therefore, I would love to work as part of your team. Moreover, I have five years experience in the manufacturing sector and the necessary knowledge for this…”
- “I know company N is famous for producing a wide range of technology goods. Last year you released a new processor for high-performance systems. I worked for seven years in this field. I was engaged in the development of innovative products. Therefore, I think I can handle this position and my knowledge will help me in this.”
Wish you luck!
P. S.: Did you like this post? Please, share it with your friends, thank you! Have a nice day!